Finding the perfect doll for your perfect child can be quite the feat. Going to the store to find a white doll for your white kid is usually very easy. This isn’t the case for most diverse and/or multiracial families. Or… maybe you want to expose your child to dolls to show them we can (and should) love all people no matter their skin color? Finding diverse dolls of color can take some searching.
When I had my daughter I searched high and low trying to find a doll that looked like her. That is actually what caused me to start my first website. That site has since shut down and Mixed Family Life was born. In my searches I gathered different recommendations for dolls. From big box to small businesses, and solo entrepreneurs. From that list I’ve decided to share some of my favorites.
This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions are my own and honest.
- Aissa Handmade Fabric Rag doll: Great option for babies and toddlers because of how cuddly it is!
- Baby Alive- Ready for School: A cute baby option that you may even be able to find in a store! (I got my son this baby alive)
- American Girl Kendall Doll – A more expensive, but cute doll.
- Madame Alexander My Life as a School Girl – Another more costly, but curly cutie option.
- Honey, A Curl Girls United Doll – A great doll for those curly kids with lighter hair!
- Hearts for Hearts Girls – Any of these are MUST HAVES in my mind. They have ones from cultures all around the world. We personally have the Nahji one. <3
- My Life as a School Boy – We got this one for my son and nephew. Great for a curly haired multiracial boy (or girl) in your life.(Here is a tiny 7in version)
- Our Generation “Paloma” 18in Doll – This is a great option that not only is diverse but is a positive role model as a Veterinarian.
- Barbie Fashionistas – Barbie’s new Fashionista line actually has a few different options that we love. Plus! They can be found usually at your local big box store.
- HarperIman Dolls – A mother/daughter duo handmakes these dolls of color and I am OBSESSED with them. They are simply incredible! They also make custom ones and even have boy dolls. (Click the link to look at what she has available)
View this post on Instagram
There are 10 of my favorites. I will return to edit and add more as I find them. Hope this helps! Let me know what your favorite diverse dolls are? I am always on the search because #representationmatters .
Thanks for reading!
Check out my last post : My Ancestry Results Came In – SURPRISED!!.