Unfortunately Winter Time is upon us in a lot of the country (US). That means cold and dry air. What does this have to do with Curly / Biracial Hair? A lot! Curly hair needs moisture and protection even more in the colder months. Keep reading to find out my Winter Time Essentials to help keep Curly / Multiracial/ Biracial Hair healthy and lovely.
Winter Time Essentials – Curly / Biracial / Multiracial Hair Care
- My first tip is to add deep conditioning to your routine more often. During the Summer time we do it maybe once per month or so. During the Winter I recommend at least weekly.
- If you wash hair before going out I recommend switching to the night before or on Sunday during the day so the hair has time to dry before going out in the cold for school (or work) during the week. Adults can diffuse their hair to dry, but I don’t recommend using heat too often on kid’s hair.
- In relation to that tip, putting hair into more protective styles during the winter is key. The protective styles will help keep the hair healthy and retain more moisture. Some ideas you can try are here, here, and here.
- Get a satin lined winter hat. These are great to help combat hat head frizz but also keep your kids head warm.
- Another great option that we tend to lean towards is getting a ear muff type hat that has the back open for the hair to come out.
- A silky / satin scarf is another option for underneath winter hats. Wrap hair up with one of these scarves before putting the warm winter hat on and viola! Hair protected.
- Find a hair oil that works for your kids curls. Lots of people use coconut oil but this can be really drying for quite a bunch of people. This is one of those trial and error things unfortunately. We personally have been using Righteous Roots Pre-Poo Hair Oil. Not only does it work wonders… but it smells amazing too.
Well I hope these tips help you out this winter in caring for your kids curly hair. Which one are you going to try out?
Thanks for reading!